Saturday, November 30, 2013

Country Dance


Long long ago in a land two states away actually there lived a rural community that liked to dance.

My parents liked to dance this stemming from fast paced jitterbug from the 40's to a stately two step, Us kids learned to dance at these places; Dad would teach us girls the two step and Mom would hector the boys into shape.

The country dance I remember was held in Ola, Idaho at the foot of Squaw Butte held in the grange I believe, liquor was not allowed but those did like a nip brought bottles that were left in the unlocked cars. Which became a source of easily obtained liquor for under aged drinkers. Tsk. The dance was a family affair, I went with my folks and they went with several families; the Green's, the Cutbirth's and such. So there were plenty of kids to keep each other amused.

The music was usually a local band who played country tunes, a polka or two, and the general favorite was the Schottische. This was a circle dance and the couples would start out with a kind of a two step hop and repeat. Lah dee Dah dee Dah, Lah deeDah dee Dah, Lah dee dah dee lah dah dah. Shuffle, change arms and swing. Repeat.

The evening would progress until about midnight and there would be a pause to pass the hat for the musicians and everyone set out their potluck dishes. Mom always made a spice cake with powdered sugar frosting. When we saw that cake sitting on the counter we knew we were going somewhere. There would be a couple more dances after that and the evening was over.

I remember one time a couple of the gentlemen had imbibed perhaps too freely and their conversation became heated; one hauled off and pop pop POPPED his fist into the other guys face. Immediately Dad was there between them talking them out of their mad. He was nicknamed Shorty and it was apparent that he was much shorter than the two opponents who were gradually calming down. That particular confrontation entered the family history as “Do you remember the Ola dance when Dad....”.

Couple other things I remember vividly was the eldest Green daughter, dancing a two step and as the couple danced by I was confounded at how her partner had her arm twisted neatly up behind her back, it looked painful but she was clearly flirting.

Also that dance was the first time I noticed one of my dance partners had an erection, I did not know what that was so no joy the for dancer. Had I even innocently asked Mom what that was poking me in the belly I think there would have been another Pop Pop POP.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember one dance and it was in Crouch. I also remember trying to sleep in the camper next to a loaded horse trailer, the horse wanted out. And there were no erections.
Gale