Saturday, December 1, 2012

Prepping for the Holidays



While I have a small fascination watching "Prepper" for Armageddon, world financial catastrophe, a series of F-5 tornadoes, world wide pandemic, melting of the Iceland ice caps, nuclear strikes, oil shortages and terrorist attack via the American infrastructure, there really ought to be a show called "Holiday Preppers".  Oh, wait that was Martha Stewart.

Okay, feeling much better about that now.   I purchased eight smallish cans of sweetened condense milk, coaxed off the labels, inserted them in plastic sandwich bags and gently dunked them in a water bath (crock pot) for ten hours.  The sandwich bags are to preclude rusting and making nasty rust marks inside the crock pot.  This makes the most glorious Dulce De Leche, which can be opened, eaten with a spoon, glopped over ice cream, used as icing on a cake, go be creative it is delicious. I shall create some labels and present them as gifts to my associates at work.  Yes, associates is the politically correct term, just like Waltz-Mart.  Meh....

Next project perhaps later today, Fruit Cake. Not your traditional fruit cake but  free wheeling think outside the recipe version.  I have collected a variety of dried fruit, nuts, candied cherries and pineapple as well as some raisins that I have soaking in very ancient Balsamic Vinegar.  I have eschewed brandy this year. 

I will take a picture and post.  Be pleased I am NOT mailing them to ANYone I love and cherish.