Friday, November 2, 2012

Chrismas Cactus


Just started blooming this week, very pretty.  It is more of a succulent and looks cactus-like with those spiky things but they were soft, not thorns.  Grandma Horn had one like this.

She kept a garden and I loved her sun hat, I found one almost like it, huge round brim, small cap, strings to tie beneath ones chin.

There was a gooseberry bush that grew on top of the root cellar and if I begged her for a gooseberry pie, she would let me go pick enough berries to make a pie. She would then shudder when ever I took a bite.  She apparently did not like gooseberry.  She also indulged me a young beggar to eat way more cherry pie than I should have with disastrous gastrointestinal results. Haven't liked cherry pie since. Ah me.....

1 comment:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

my grandmother had one of those plants. She had the magic touch when it came to growing stuff. We also had a gooseberry bush on the place when we moved out here, but it didn't stay very long. I have trouble growing grass (the kind in front yards ya know) so a garden is out of the question.