Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Visitor!


My sis came to visit today on her way north to visit Elkton and points north to Seattle.  She brought family treasures for which I shall be the treasure master.


Grandma Latimer hand pieced this flower basket quilt for Mom when she was born.  Mom was born in 1926 so that makes the quilt  86 years old.  Grandma Horn kept the quilt in a chest for years and Mom did the same until she decided she was going to finish the quilt.  She set the turkey red dye in a vinegar rinse, she backed it with cotton and cotton batt filling. I remember she hand quilted the thing using very thick white thread.  I am not certain but she might have done this in the 1980's, just not sure. It has held up well over the years, has never been used and I have on hand an archival box and archival papers to store the quilt in.  I am thrilled to hold this lovely family treasure in trust.  I wonder if I should get it evaluated.  May on Antiques Road Show...nahhh.

Oh the school book bench is part of the treasure trove, Mom and Dad had it for years sitting in the living room. It held plants for the longest time.  Since I have so many books.......

I was also gifted with books and some china. 

Thanks Carlah Dee Dah.....
 

1 comment:

carladedah! said...

You are SOOOOO welcome! Glad that we could make the transition easily. I got home today about 4pm....lots of miles under my ass. Loved seeing you and Tim, really wish i could have stayed and visited.
muuuwauuuah!