Saturday, June 30, 2012

My book store

Lello book store Porto Portugal, open since 1906.

My book store is obviously NOT going to look like this. For one thing I barely have 3000 books, so they will have to be artfully scattered around what ever space I rent.

I have given some thought to possible names for my book store;

Bookity Books.   Has already been taken, dammit! That name is advertised as the largest used book store in Detroit? I think.
Shoot! Spit! Dirty socks!

Alden Books.  Um, isn't that a mall type book store and didn't they go into chapter something or other bankruptcy?  Oh, wait that's Walden Books.  Same rant.

Book Nook. This is a universal name and seems to have been taken by many, many, MANY book stores.  I want something original.

Jubilee Books.  A little explanation.  All book stores should have a cat being friendly or aloof or at least shedding some....fur. And since we have a friendly fur sheding cat named Jubilee.......

Furnishings:   I don't have enough shelves for my books. I have about 10 to 15 of those 39 dollar sold at Freddys fold open book shelves that really need to sit on top of a low (2 foot high) credenza thing.   It has been proven that customers will not look at stuff on lower shelves unless they are less than 3 feet tall (The customers) so that height puts most books at eye level. 

I also want at least two very comfortable chairs with foot rest, good lighting and warm blankie.  Uh,and a washer dryer to wash throws to get rid of cat hair. Also need a fancy feather duster. 

I think my brother's suggestion for a pot belly stove sans poker table is a good idea. However I am leaning more toward a pellet stove.  Don't have to worry much about air conditioning as the weather here is rarely hottish.  One or two hot days a year are all we are allowed. 

Game table.  I want to break out my antique Scrabble board for  a nice spirited and/or lazy game or two.

Plants.  I have a killer green thumb. Emphasis on KILLER.  But we have a nice collection of cacti that would look nice on my library table.  I am pretty sure the hubs can man the watering can.

I also want to have a largish table in the middle of the store where people can also read but where actually meetings for various smallish groups can be conducted. 

Lastly I was trolling blogs and found one entitled, "Twenty five things I learned about owning a book store. I won't post the entire thing here but:

If you put cookbooks outside in the free box they will always get taken.

Kids will always find the sex books no matter where you hide them.

Location:  There are some empty store fronts in downtown, however none on second street.  There is very little parking on second but good foot traffic between the pharmacy, Fraziers and other junk/antique type places.   Some of these places have a small selection of books. I would be willing to take their stock off of their hands for a small fee.

Diversifying plans: I have always wanted to play with making paper and I love the smell of turpentine and oil paint. Can a master piece be too far off?  Um, yeah.

No comments: