Saturday, November 19, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW....


As is common with my viewing habits, I came across this film entirely by accident surfing the channels.  Ah hah! Let's see what this is all about.

The above picture is from Julie & Julia.  A young woman's husband challenges herself to cook all of Julia Child's recipes over the period of one year and blogs about it.  Interspersed are peeks into both of their lives.  I thought Meryl Streep did an outstanding job of looking 6 foot tall and only a little over the top portrayal of Julie Child, not quite a over the as that of SNL.  There were two instances during the film that truly deserved two hankies; the first one came along in the early years in Paris, Julia had just received a letter from her recently married sister announcing that she was pregnant.  Julia had always wanted children and burst into tears, as her husband comforted her, she sobbed briefly into his chest, patted him dearly and assured him that she was so happy.  I wept.

The second instance was near the end of the film, the young blogger couple had gone to visit the display of Julia Child's kitchen that had been donated to the Smithsonian (I could have the wrong museum here..) and they were taking picture and oohing and ahhing.   To one site was a portrait of Julie Child and during a close up, Julie looks up at the portrait sneaks a block of butter on the niche beneath and whispers, "I love you, Julia.".  I wept.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed that movie, I had avoided it thinking it might be to trite. However my favorite foodie movie is still "Big Night" LOVE IT!

Retro Blog said...

I actually purchased a CD of "Babettes Feast", it is in French, it is subtitled. Story is all about a French woman fleeing the terror circa 1778 or so. She settles in a small very rural fishing village. She works as a maid of all work in a household of two sisters. There is a back story of a suitor for one of the sisters and who incidentally brought the fleeing Babette to them. He returns a fews years later to announce that Babett'es lottery ticket had won in the amount of 10,000(large amount of $$). She decides to spend all of the money on a feast. I would love to taste some of that menu. Yum!