Sunday, October 23, 2011

Product review...kind of...



This past week I have been visited by one of the minor plagues, the common cold.  I worked part of Monday, part of Tuesday, Part of Wednesday, missed Thursday, worked part of Friday.  During this time I suffered the usual symptoms; migrating sore throat, migrating nasal congestion, migrating cough, migrating lung congestion. I had a PE teacher years ago give a student a hard time about her absence excuse from school, apparently her mother had written"Please excuse little Bunulla from school as she had a chest cold and a head cold".  The PE teacher yelped, "That's not possible to have a chest cold and head cold at the same time".  I got information for you, teach...yeah you can.  

Any way I dosed myself with the usual Alka Seltzer cold relief, some expectorant cough syrup, some sore throat lozenges...nuthin.   I finally purchased a box of Mucinex. First of all the commercials are one of the the MOST DISGUSTING COMMERCIALS on air...ever.  Well except for a certain nameless drippy cat food commercial from the 70's.  ANYway...I decided to gulp one down.  The first thing I noticed upon said gulping was INSTANT DEHYDRATION.  I could breath, thank you.  I needed to drink LOTS of water.
The active ingredient for each pill is 600 mgs of Guaifenesin...that's it!  So go google Guaifenesin and purchase that, same effect and you will not have supported the industry that created the gawdawful commercial.  Oh yeah, wear the blue mask, it won't protect anyone from the virus but it looks like you are trying and everyone will feel better and actually rebreathing your own air will keep you a little hydrated.

2 comments:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

We both got our flu shots couple of weeks ago. Seems to help with colds too. Might be just in the mind, but I'll take it. Had a sore muscle for a few days. Shot was painless. Used to take Musinex too, for years, to help me breath. Now that I am off the bus, I don't take them any more. They really worked well for me at the time though.
CB

Retro Blog said...

I was too sick for the flu shot they gave at work this last week but they will be giving them at the Health Fair coming up soon,..wheee