Friday, October 14, 2011

Cooking with ready made ingredients.


First of all these are not cinnamon rolls, those are stuffed biscuits.  Stuff with mushroom, sweet Italian sausage, shallots, 4 ounces of cream cheese and either Parsley or Cilantro.  If the left over herbs have turned all black on the cut edges, it is Cilantro.  I also made stuffed Portabello mushrooms using the same filling, popped in a 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes, I left the biscuits in longer than the package recommended 13 to 17 minutes, as I wanted them golden, brown and delicious.  And they were.  Husband actually preferred the mushrooms they were meatier.  This from the bread eating member of the family.

So next topic;   I used a new to me product the other night,  you have seen the commercial; a young couple are in the kitchen and a man appears outside their patio door, he comes in, the husband mutters, "Chris Angel?".  He says, come and put a package of microwave popcorn in the microwave, hits the popcorn button, gives a one eyed grimace, and the machine goes "ding".  He pulls out the popcorn and asks, "Do you know what this is?", The man says, "Its a bag of Orville Redenbacher popcorn.",  Chris Angel says, "Do you know what THIS is?" and swiftly dramatically pulls the top off the bag of popcorn.  The wife exclaims in an excited voice, "It's not a bag it's a bowl! How did you do that!?"

At that point I must interject MY experience with Orville's bowl in a bag concept.  I put my bag of microwave pop corn in the microwave, set the timer for 2 minutes and 15 seconds and waited.
Took out the bag, grasped the lid of the "bowl" and gently tugged, nuthin',  tugged a little harder, tugged VERY hard.  Got out a knife, to cut gently into the membrane, pretty tough, cut sharply into the membrane, still nuthin'.  I had visions of Norman Bates going at it with a very sharp knife..Shriek! Shriek! Shriek! Got out my KITCHEN SHEARS, and finally managed to snip a very raggedy hole in the container.  I poured the bowl of rapidly cooling popcorn into a REAL bowl and declared myself the winner!  There was no instant sleight of hand removal of the lid from the bowl, there was no magic.  But the rapidly cooling popcorn was tasty. 

3 comments:

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

For so long now, I have craved popcorn but couldn't have any due to recovery. Bought some Kettle corn at the October Fest in Emmett and eagerly awaited the opening of the bag. Was so disappointed. Not anything like I remember and hoped for. The president of the Sewer Board is the vender, so I will take the bag back and complain. No flavor at all. C

Anonymous said...

I used to eat popcorn at least twice a week. It was the made on the stove kind with real butter. I still love popcorn but that stuff that gets stuck in my teeth, I could happily live without.

Retro Blog said...

There is a sort of non kernel "popcorn" on the market in the chips aisle, it is puffy popped corn, tastes pop corny but it ain't like good old fashioned kettle corn.