Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Jury duty



Hard to believe that I have lived in Coquille for 10 years or better and just this week received a jury duty summons for two weeks in October.  The drill here is call in the number, if your juror number is called, show up for the day, do not wear cologne or perfume. 

I first served on a jury in Marin County, California late 60's, actually got selected for a trial involving a women charged with passing bad checks from someone Else's bank account.   It was quite an elaborate tussle.  Lots of testimony.  I'm sure she is out of jail by now.

Second and third experiences with jury duty was in Alaska. Once you have received two dividend checks from the state you name goes in the jury pool not for a measly two weeks but  FULL QUARTER of each year.  I served on one DUI, one assault,and one mistrial.  That trial was called a mistrial because the prosecutor was reading from something that the officer witness did not have a copy of.  So mistrial.

I served on a Federal trial held in Nome, Alaska.  It was a big deal.  There actually is a Federal Court house in Nome.  I asked when the last Federal trial was held in Nome, um, sixteen years ago.  I was briefly empaneled and excused. 

The very last week that I lived in Barrow, I was called for jury duty.  I was briefly empaneled. Perhaps it was the panic stricken look on my face that got me excused from that one.

So I call call the phone and if my number is called, I will take my fully charged Kindle for a day of reading and observation.  I 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have only gotten one jury summons and as luck would have it got picked. I dubbed it the "Trailer Trash Trial", it was a dispute over an old Lazy Boy recliner. Exciting, 3 days of garbage, but also interesting. EJ

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

I guess I am lucky. They don't want me anymore cuz of West Nile. Before that, it was no cuz of relationship bus drivers have with law enforcement. C

Anonymous said...

I get summoned to jury duty approximately every 6 months...I'm not kidding. I have to serve in October...again.

Short of dieing, which I'm not willing to do, I've tried everything to get out of it. They keep saying no to my requests.

Happily I wasn't chosen from the pool of 1500 potential jurors to serve on a 6 month trial for a triple murder. augh!

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

I recall both Royce and Carla getting summons from Gem County at your mother's address. She thought they were really funny. C.