Sunday, August 7, 2011

MORE BLOSSOMS AND MORE BUILDING


The second cactus blossom bloomed earlier this week.  It only lasted a couple of days, now its all back to desert.

This is part of the facade where the three story atrium will go, it will be glass and stone and first floor is where the cafeteria will be located as well as public bathrooms, seating and stairs and elevator to the second and third floors.

Today the cook made fried chicken, legs, thighs and breast.  Tasted almost as good as Grandma Horn's fried chicken.  We also had mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, biscuits, fresh salad, and fresh fruit salad.  Yummy.

Also this week I cooked a couple of dishes, I was playing what can I cook that I have on hand.  I came up with corn pudding.  I had a couple well aged loaves of french bread in the freezer, two bunches of scallions, 3/4 package of frozen corn, a can of mushroom soup and a variety of spices.  I emulsified the soup with about a pint of buttermilk, and a couple cups of milk, I soaked the bread in that, added four beaten eggs, half cup or so of shredded Parmesan, the chopped scallions, salt, pepper mixed well and baked in oven for about 45 minutes.  Husband gave me a thumbs up but is having a terrible time calling it corn pudding because it looks mostly like stuffing with corn added.  My secret ingredient was of all things a couple pieces of chopped fresh ginger.  Meh.  Next time I will leave it out. 

That same afternoon I noticed some meat in the fridge I had set to thaw and decided to make Swiss Steak.  So I pounded the meat into submission, coated in flour, buttermilk and Italian bread crumbs and fried it.  I then added some canned sliced white potatoes, made a milk gravy sauce, added more pepper, let it simmer for two hours and it turned okay, could have used a little more pounding actually but tasted good.  That's enough cooking for the week.

No comments: