Thursday, May 5, 2011

WORKY WORKY


The construction has moved onto FOUNDATION work.  They brought in a boom truck to deliver cement over head into the difficult-to-get-to-bits.  That was fun.  More cement fun later.



I decided to make cajeta de leche con platano for Cinco De Mayo.
Unfortunately my first attempt did not turn out well.  I only cooked the condensed sweetened cans of milk for six hours thinking that was long enough.  Nope, got can of faintly beige goo.  Dumped that because I was NOT brave enough to attempt continuing the caramelizing process in an open pan.   So, two cans went into the slow cooker in the oven for ten hours.  That was still not as done as I like it but it was time to make the pies.  Graham cracker crust, cajeta, layer of bananas, whipped cream.   It got eaten but had turned a bit runny.  Next time, MINIMUM TWELVE HOURS in the crock pot.  There was a very nice selection of enchiladas, tamales, rice, beans, salad. The WINNER was a jar of pickled green beans, in dill, garlic and a taste of jalapeno pepper.  Delicious.  I think those pickled beans would be lovely in a virgin bloody Mary.  Yep!

No comments: