Saturday, May 14, 2011

RECAP



Boo hoo hoo.   I was expecting to lose the view but not THIS soon.
Yep wall type activities going on.  I think the crew decided to start on the wall next to all the windows because some of them may wish to take off their shirts in hotter weather (no hot weather yet) and some of them really need to keep their shirts on.



BUILDING IN THE 'HOOD:

This lovely old farmer's lady  (1890's) is getting a new roof and
what look suspiciously like windows in the roof!  (I am having a senior moment, can't remember the name of the sky panels, not solar panels but well you know what I mean). (Sky light!!!)  This house has stood empty for nearly five years.   It was on the market as is for at least 250k.  Not even a nibble.  I believe they may have replaced the heating system because the nasty 200 gallon oil tank has been removed.   Last year they jacked the old lady up and put in new cinder block foundation.  Since the roof had moss growing on it, they ripped off the shingles and took it right down to the barest of bones.   Those new windows will make nice light into the third floor attic.  Wish we had them on our roof, but anyone who puts those kinds of windows in here in rainy Oregon is asking for an eventual leak. 

PUTTERING WITH RECIPES:

This past Wednesday was Appreciation Day at work.  The senior staff dons aprons and head gear, heads for kitchen and makes omelette's for everyone.  Mr. Z puts on his tux and cummerbund and takes orders, bus tables, schlep fruit cup and muffins.  Mine was delish.  Afterwards I spoke to our personnel director.   I suggested that they try sour dough pancakes.  Monte looked interested and asked for a starter....

I took out the starter and knew immediately that Mom would pout.  I was out of white flour, so I substituted whole wheat. 

Add  two cups flour and two cups warm milk to starter, let set over night in warm place.  Rats! I used two cups of water instead of milk.  (Mom! Stop rolling your eyes!).  Next morning, slight workage of yeasty beasty but nuthin' to get excited about.
So I added a tablespoon of pure maple syrup because my honey had crystallized and let it set another 24 hours. (Stop with the eye rolling)

Saturday morning.  Gratifying bubblage in the starter, kept out 1 1/2 cups for each of two quart mason jars.  One will be delivered with directions to the PR director. The other will be stashed in the fridge.
I got to thinking, and you know how dangerous that is, Mom always used whole milk.  I have been using 2% for so long I have almost forgotten how whole milk tastes and I am sure that makes a huge difference on how yeasty the sour dough becomes.  So next time I use whole milk,gently warmed to less than 100 degrees.

I stirred up the balance of the sour dough batter with egg, sugar, oil, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cooked six nice sized pancakes.  The three I had for breakfast were pretty good for non standard Virginia sour dough pancakes.

DREAMZ:

Last night I dreamt about money.
I was at work and someone from the front office gave me a form. With this form I was to go to my bank and receive sixty dollars.
I went to the bank and was seated at one of the service desks in the lobby. I gave the lady my form and she went to process. She returned to tell me that the form could not be processed because it was the wrong form.
I left and stood in the outer lobby a bit and decided I would go back to work.




INTERPRETATION:
To dream that you lose money, suggests that you are lacking ambition, power and self-esteem. You are experiencing unhappiness and setbacks in your waking life. You may also be feeling weak, vulnerable, and out of control in your waking life. Now that is just boring.


To see a bank in your dream, denotes your desires for financial security. The dream may be trying to offer reassurance and that your fears of financial instability are unfounded.
Meh.



One last thing.  Yesterday the mail carrier left a plastic bag to be filled with canned good, packages mix etc to be donated to the local food banks.  I sorted out some canned veggies, corn, peas, green beans.  The mail carriers will pick this up today.  I hope who ever uses this stuff lives long and prospers. The canned tuna is mine regardless of mercury content.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suggestion for your honey, place the bottle of honey in a sause pan with water. Place on stove on low heat until the honey returns to its liquid state. Wahlaw, usable honey again....
Leo and Ellen

Anonymous said...

Good tip I prefer honey and replaced the honey I had with a smaller bottler that I will keep on the shelf, I am thinking that keeping it in the frige is a not so good thing. RIA

Anonymous said...

My honey expert (honey) has told me that honey will never go bad and keeping it at room temperature is the best. EJ

Anonymous said...

We just ate the last of our honey from the Jones crop...it's yummy on the greek yogurt.
I also did a sour dough with whole wheat flour a while back....it died a miserable death.