Tuesday, December 1, 2009

RECIPE FOR CRANBERRY RELISH










The above pictures are the main ingredients for the cranberry relish.

And the food grinder and very large bread board are the methods employed by my mother because there was no other method to chop/grind items for food preparation.

1. Place large cutting board on kitchen table. Affix metal food grinder on cutting board. Place 50 to 60 pound child on cutting board to keep the food grinder from sliding around. Yell at child continuously while grinding up a one pound bag of fresh cranberries (after first having picked out the soft squishy ones).

2. Before grinding the berries, station a second child with a large bowel beneath the grinder to catch the juice that drips down the clamp of the grinder, this will be used as part of the liquid in the jello reciped. Do not forget to yell constantly at the child holding the bowl.

3. With the two children still in position, quarter one whole juicy orange and grind that up as well.

4. Remove the ground berries and orange mixture. Let the children go outside to play or take the clothes from the line and bring them inside or what ever other chore is to be accomplished.

5. Cover ground cranberry orange mixture with two cups of sugar, let stand one hour.

6. In between washing up the bits and pieces of the food grinder and the cutting board, Chop 1/2 cup celery into small slices and chop 1 cup of walnuts. The original recipe calls for half these amounts but I like the extra crunch.

7. Use the juice in the bowl and extra water if necessary to make 2 cups of liquid, bring to a boil, stir in one large box of black cherry jello, stir until dissolved.
If recipe on box calls for another two cups of liquid, cut it to one cup and this will make a the relish nice and firm.

8. Stir in the chopped celery and chopped walnuts into the ground cranberry and orange mixture.

9. When jello begins to slightly thicken, pour into the berry orange mixture and allow to set over night.

ALTERNATE PREPARATION METHOD:

Drag out shiny blender. Fill with 2 cups water, drop in half bag of whole cranberries, grind, drain in strainer, save juice in pan. Continue until all of bag is gone and quarter orange using similar amounts of water and draining.
I have found that over the years the old recipe of using a one pound bag of cranberries no longer holds true, the 2009 cranberry bags weigh closer to half a poundm, so purchase TWO bags of whole cranberries to get the same solid relish effect.

This has been a family favorite for years. The original recipe called for Lemon jello which makes a fairly tart relish. I sometimes have despaired finding Black Cherry jello. At some point in the future I may be reduced to shopping on Ebay for my jello.

6 comments:

Retro Blog said...

Correction to # 2. that should read "bowl" not bowel. Yeesh.

Gale said...

As far as I am concerned cranberry sauce comes out of a can ready to slice...I am so 50's

Anonymous said...

Point 1, I now know why my relish is sloppy, I don't have two kids.

Point 2...some people who don't like cranberry relish would keep bowel as a descriptor.

Point 3...excellent advice about the amount of berries. I shall try it doubled.

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

If you buy the cranberries at Sam's Club, they come in a 5lb. bag. Nothing smaller, so you end up with a lot relish, or Jello salad, and my grnadmother used canned mandarin oranges in her recipe. Really good and much easier. She also put in shredded pineapple. Or course Rich doesn't do pineapple, so I either get all of the 5+ lbs to myself, or resign myself to none at all. Go Big or stay home as Rich so aptly puts it. Making a smaller batch doesn't seem to be in my genitics. I am still working on making just enough for the 2 of us, but left overs have their place.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

Yeah I still have left over cranberry relish, about two more servings. Yay, me!!

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

I am sure glad all of you like that stuff, to this day I can't stand that s--t. Just more child abuse food.
Later
RB