Wednesday, August 26, 2009

NAMES I HAVE KNOWN AND BRIEFLY CONTEMPLATED




When my child was born I had two names picked out; Charles Andrew and Danielle Megan. Charles it was and he was never called Chuck, it was mostly Charles or Charlie and for a very brief period he was known as Chooch. I never did get to use Danielle Megan and during the c-section one of the nurses asked me about names and when I told her, she exclaimed brightly, “Oh, my dog is named Megan”. So….

One of the prettiest Scandinavian first names is Elvi. Elvi was a classmate of mine in college and had a lilting Swedish accent, very charming lady.

During college during my computer class (the ancient and now probably dead PL1 ) the assignment was to prepare a stack of punch cards to spell out a simple list of alphabetized names. One of my names was the most common first name in the world, and the most common last name in the world; Mohamed Wong. While this may have caused a giggle from the professor in the mid 70’s, I Googled Mohamed Wong and got 1,750,000 hits.…ah progress…

While working at my hometown hospital, I filled out my share of birth certificates. There was a set of girl twins born and the only reason I can even remember them to this day is a rhyme I made up:
Chastity Anne and Trinity Sue…were born in 1982. And to be sure the Anne and Sue may be paired with the wrong names and that is simply the way I remember the names. Sorry Chastity and Trinity.

I have always been fascinated by place names. Occasionally I like to look at maps and ponder. Did you know there is a Blue Earth, Minnesota? Please don’t reply and tell me it is a drug zone or a mining ghost town. I prefer a little misty romance/ignorance.

While working in Alaska at a remote location during the 90’s, I had occasion to fill out many MANY birth certificates. It was not at all unusual for some mother to name her child in honor of a deceased relative or friend. The most unusual name I ever submitted was the little boy who had FOUR first names; Ryan Brian Cory Craig. I don’t think that is the exact order but you get the idea and I did use the name as my character for Princess Giggle’ rotten boy cousin who stole her solar powered flying carpet.

Lastly, while working in my current place of employment I have found that my favorite name for all time is that of Dolly Dimple Icenogle. Repeat after me…Dolly…Dimple…Icenogle. It just sort of flows and one of these days I will have to write a story and use that name in the story. May hap I should try my hand at a Regency Romance and some harridan will publicly reprimand Dolly.

Need a few more plot elements however.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

PS: I forgot the Basque names that were difficult to pronounce. One of the doctors at my hometown hospital could not pronounce Cihigoineche. He always pronounced it as "She's a gonna get'cha".
Thai names are polysyllabic for instance I worked with a young lady whose married name was
Charoonsonphonsak. We just called her Jessie. R

Richard's Rants and Raves said...

My oldest daughter, Heather, was named long before she was born. I found it in a book call "The Flame and the Flower". Romance novel of course. Must have been alot of people who liked that name about that time, several other Heathers came about then. Didn't have a boy name, so it was good she is a "she". Her middle name was harder to come up with. Nothing was flowing. No good characters from books fit the bill.

It came time to go to her great-grandmother's funeral,(about 1 month before baby was due) and I learned grandma's middle name would work great. It was on her death notice. Nobody in the immediate family knew the story, but I did a little research and found the name I wanted. There happened to be a typo on grandma's birth certificate. It was supposed to be "Irene" but was misspelled as "Tirene". Not like the soup bowl. My grandmother was mortified and gave me heck about "Heather Soup Bowl" and that all the kids would tease her. Never came about as no one her age ever heard of a soup tureen anyway.

C

Anonymous said...

What about the General, Sargent captain little kid?

AuntJoJo said...

My Grandma Newell's maiden name was France. Her Aunty, who lived with them before they moved to Burns Oregon was named Mary Bethina Roeina Roanne Atiline Jane Kepler France.

Anonymous said...

JoJo you win!!! R