Friday, March 14, 2008

potato salad with secret ingredient



Today was a good day to fiddle around in the kitchen and make a batch of potato salad as follows:

INGREDIENTS:

2 1/2 pounds of smallish red potatoes (I counted 10 of them in my mixing bowl.
6 eggs
1/2 chopped sweet onion
1 can black olives, slice in two to check for pits
1 tsp celery seed
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1/2 to 1 cup Anacardiacea. Big hint,this is the secret ingredient.
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or to taste.
Salt and pepper to taste.
1 cup mayo
1/3 cup yellow mustard
1/3 cup whole grain mustard with horseradish

METHODOLOGY:

Lightly scrub red potatoes and bring to rolling boil in 4 quarts of salted water for 20 minutes.

At the end of 20 minutes drop in the six eggs and allow pot to cool for 20 minutes. Eggs will be cooked perfectly from the residual heat of the water.

Drain and allow to continuing cooling in colander.

You can let them stand over night in the fridge however, wait two hours
and partially peel and chop the potatoes. Peel and chop the eggs.
Mix in other ingredients, seal in favorite 25 year old Tupperware bowl and let season in fridge. If impatient, have some but it will be better the next day.

3 comments:

Gale said...

I have a tupperware container for coffee. It is 30 years old as I had bought it and the rest of the set right before Jen was born. I only have the coffe size. Ron got the rest in the divorce. He probably still has it.

Retro Blog said...

I HAD (repeat HAD) canister set also, in brown. The wrinkled lids denatured and cracked, wouldn't seal anymore so they got um "recycled". I find that canisters on the whole only take up counter space, I prefer the upright freezer for storage of larger quantities of flour and sugar and grains. Also a five pound bag of sugar will last me FOREVER. I rarely cook desserts exept for pumpkin pie once a year.

Gale said...

I had to look up Anacardiacea and I still am not sure what it is. Am wondering if you went out and harvested it from the local denuded forrest.