Wednesday, January 4, 2023

ENOUGH ROOM

ENOUGH ROOM: This all started with husband commenting that he wished the house was twice as big so he could save more cardboard boxes. (Heaven forefend!) I am reminded of my first roommate, Sue. We rented a three bedroom, two bath house in Novato for about one hundred dollars a month. Remember this was the mid sixties. We both made about 35 dollars per week take home. We were both slobs, I was only a slob in the kitchen, I kept everything picked up and clean. Sue lived in a separate large bedroom with ensuite in the back. I went in there once and she had all of her clothes in piles all over the floor. They were clean, simply not hung up or folded and put away. We then moved into one bed apartments in the same complex. Rent was about 65 dollars per month. One time when Sue's gentleman friend came over, she hid her dirty dishes in the cupboards rather than wash them. When she married, I visite their one bedroom apartment in Napa. She had stuff strewn all over. I started picking up and storing etc. When her husband came home, he asked what happened. I shrugged said, Hurriance Susie I was invited to their home when they moved. Nice large two story home in Napa. Dinner was very nice. I started to help after and was going to stack the plates. Sue said, don't stack them, I don't wash the bottoms. I guess she really needed enough room for the meticulous housekeeper to kick into gear.

No comments: