Sunday, March 18, 2018

Rugby/Football versus March Madness

I spent part of the day AVOIDING March Madness.  There are three sports channels covering various games, CBS is all cluttered up with basketball jones and I stumbled across Rugby.  Here is what I observed.  France was dressed in Blue and Wales was dressed in Orange maybe?  It looked like there were a dozen or more beefy looking men scampering about in a HUGE field.  The Rugby ball is a very large melon shaped ball that gets tossed underhand quite a lot.  Or the ball bounces to a stop the players carefully avoid touching it until it bounces to a stop.  Every once in a while the official dressed in black and white summons both teams to a certain spot on the field.  France over there, Wales over there.  Line up, get in position. On my signal.....and SHOVE!!! Then there is a pile of men who are playing reverse tug of war and the idea is to shove so far in one or the other direction until somebody gets tired? from what I can tell all of these men are at least 200 lbs and beefy.  I did notice that if they were to all line up and salute the flag by putting the backs of open hands resting on eyebrows.  The big beefy hands cover up the hairline very well.  Not a lot of forehead left showing if any at all.  Now as for scoring points.  I noticed one play where someone tossed the ball, it rolled free, a player pounced on it and a point was made.  Huzzah!! I think.  I think France lost as the commentators were saying that they only needed a bit more of an aggressive game and a good solid eight men and their game would be much improved.  Huh, eight men. Well whatinhell are the other seven guys out there doing?  I should probable Google the Rules for Rugby. Is March Madness over yet?

No comments: