Saturday, February 3, 2018

Today's post was promulgated by a late night of listening to NPR.

I tuned into listen to BBC, one of the lady moderators spoke so beautifully musical upper posh accents I didn't realize for the longest time that she was relating a horrific report from Afghanistan. Oh dear.  I would love to have just the faintest hint of Upper Class English Posh henceforth known of UCEP ('scuze me). I don't want to sound like Queen Elizabeth just a nudge lower, slower and I would kill for the diction of Hermione Gingold. But as I am retired and meet the definition of poverty and have not traveled much  I am lucky to speak comparatively accent neutral 'merican.  

 There is another posh accent that I find fascinating.  A few years ago PBS sponsored a program called "Sister Wendy"  She was a religious of undetermined bent who was expert in art and she had a spectacular set of teeth that Beatrix Potter would have very much admired.  Sister Wendy would expound in the usual Posh accent but there was an extra little learned word usage such as "weally" instead of "really". She was very impwessive much like the vewy impwessive Bishop who recited the marriage vows for Princess Buttercup in The Princess Bride.  I under stand that the impwessive accent is acquired at a school in England.  Don't know the name, maybe they have elocution courses, yeh?

But I divert, just a bit.  Sister Wendy lectured one time ona  largish page from the Koran.  It was large gold on black Arabic script of part of a prayer.  She explained that the page was sacred and should be treated as such.  It was absolutely beautiful. I would watch re-runs.

No comments: