Monday, February 12, 2018

NEW WORDS

Each year The Oxford Dictionary announces the new word for the year.  The new word for 2017 is youthquake.
Noun; youthquake, a significant social, societal event caused by young people.  
That is quite wonderful.

So, I also Googled a list of other new words and slang for 2017, there are several most of which I shall not list here because of my extreme removal from the young people who have actually used these words or abbreviations for their Iphones.  I did see one that I disagreed with, it was word salad. I am not sure what the two word phrase was defined as by the youth of America but I can tell you that the phrase word salad is a well established phrase used by physicians to describe a patient who has suffered an acute brain event and their language comes out scrambled.

Having said that I wish to nominate a new word.  I first saw it used in a book review on Amazon. The reviewer was describing the effect of sleight-of-hand and used the word handwavium.  All it takes is for the word to be adopted in casual usage.  Come on everyone it will be tedious at best but good new words always strike me as presumptuous yet inevitable.  I think handwavium meets that personal definition.  I shall continue to try to use the word in a sentence on a more or less daily basis.  Most of the time the sentence will not make any kind of sense.  Usage feedback is always appreciated.  

No comments: