Tuesday, December 1, 2020

WELL THAT WAS INTERESTING

I have been scheduled for day stay surgery on the 30th of November for a couple of weeks to be performed at Bay Area Hospital. On the 23rd, I went to North Bend Medical Center for labs; blood work, EKG and Covid. We stepped outside so I could remove my mask, open wide, swab in the back of the throat. Gag reflex. The day stay nurse called to interview me and said they would confirm hours, date, etc. Someone did call and requested that I have dialysis BEFORE surgery because of electrolyte imbalance concerns. What, they ain't got Gatorade? I called Davita and asked if I could come in at 5 am. No problem, we will save you a chair. We got up at dark thirty and took off in rain, the usual Winter condition on the Oregon coast. Got there a little bit before 5 am and rang the outside bell. Husband to come back to pick me up about 9 a.m. He called me to let me know that BAH called to say we could come over after dialysis. Originally the scheduled call for me to arrive at 12 noon, prep and be in OR at 2 pm. Yeesh! I stupidly assumed my schedule had been rescheduled for sooner. Nope. I sat in that room for FIVE hours. Did not take in my Kindle, there had no TV, nuthin'. Husband took my purse with him to the waiting room, otherwise I would have asked me to fetch my Kindle from the car. The nurses gave me a call button but I promptly lost it over the side of the bed. Backing up a bit, the nurse left instructions for get nekkid (Dammit!) with nice warm paper washcloth. Front back, top bottom. Husband did the bits I could not reach mostly back and sides. Got into hospital gown, put on grippy socks. Got into the bed. There was a warming blank, silvery top that was hooked up to hose pumping warm air. Wonderful! One of the nurses who popped in introduced herself as Brajia. I did not tell her that one of our cats was named Braja. Very original of her parents. About hour two, husband decided to go the waiting room to watch his Kindle. Room time began at 9:30 and at 2:30 pm I was told that I would go to OR. Finally. Oh, and the nurse put a shiny aluminum hat on my head. I assume to prevent heat loss and apparently block my super power of mental telepathy. Nice anesthesia lady put me on a bit of oxygen by mask and then take a deep breath, here comes the anesthesia. I woke up in recovery and shortly wheeled back to room nine. Husband showed up, I received discharge instructions, no showers for two weeks, change dressing Thursday, here is some Oxycodone for pain. I have a fairly high pain thresh hold, so decided NOT make big pharma richer. Nurse took off all the monitor stuff and the IV. I was free to get dressed. Husband helped. Nurse rolled me downstairs to the front. Husband drove up to where I was. Got in the car, thanked the nurse and we drove straight to Mickey D's. I had not eaten since last Sunday night. Ordered small hamburger, small fries and an iced flavored coffee. We were gone from home for 12 hours. Because it was dark, we got to see all sorts of Christmas lights. The best display was the railroad museum, it was light up and very pretty! Got home, got comfy. Husband took a nap and I puttered around a bit. Pretty sure I do not want to do that again very soon. The people at Davita can use use the revised upper fistula in three weeks. The procedure which Dr. Rogowsky was where there were three branches on the upper end, he ligated two branches which will put more blood flow into the single fistula. The reason they ordered this done was that the upper fistula was deep and easy to extravasate. When that happened a couple of times, the blood did not resorb for a couple of weeks, bruising was ugly and extensive. The area got hot, hard and hurt. While they were letting the fistula rest, they used my carotid cannula. That cannula will probably be removed once the repaired fistula is working well. Crap! That will be another trip to Bay Area. Hope it doesn't take another twelve hours. I WILL take my Kindle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

“I am extremely pleased with Mr Lee's Loan service and your suggestions have helped me get a very good home loan deal. I would be pleased to recommend your services to my friends here looking for a loan.”
Don't go anywhere else if you are looking for a loan. Mr Lee is the best. I highly recommend his services. The best I have ever had the pleasure to work with his low rate loan. ”This is Mr Lee Contact just if anyone here is looking for a loan.Whatsapp: +1-989-394-3740.  &  Email: 247officedept@gmail.com


Gale said...

hmm you looking for a loan? I'm not looking. Sister you got spammed or something.

Anonymous said...

Yup got spammed, maybe that rich Nigerian prince can Hell her out, ya?