Saturday, July 5, 2014

Britain's Got Talent addiction


Recently I have become obsessed with Britain's Got Talent. Watched bits and pieces and loved it. They kept mentioning 250,000 pound prize and performing for the Queen. I started looking and found Royal Performance. I saw bits and pieces of that and remain convinced that we two great nations are separated by a common language. Some of the presenters had such thick (None posh) accents that were nearly incomprehensible to me but the audience ate it up. Dang I wished there were English subtitles. 
 
Andrew Lloyd Webber came on to present previews of a couple plays he is working on. A musical called “I Can't Sing” Based on Factor X contest with a couple cute songs. One was called “Please Simon” and of course a crowd of contestants were shouting for Simon to sign autograghs etc and was quite witty. Another song “I can't sing” brought the house down. I hope Mr. Webber (Um, he could be Sir Webber for all I know) changes the name of the play to “X Factor; The Story”. 
 
There was some one called Bill Bailey who is a very amusing and talented musician who managed to play the last bit of The William Tel Overture on a rather fabulous set of bike horns. Truly awe inspiring. 
 
They brought on the (originally very nervous) Welsh fellow to belt out Nessum Dorma. I love that aria from Turandot and if it gives me goosebumps, he done good. 
 
I also watched EGT episode last night. A very diminutive elderly lady came out with a much younger dance partner. They started dancing a very demure Tango that went on for about 20 seconds before the infamous Simon lost patience and hit the buzzer. The dancing couple, paused briefly, looked at each other, nodded and busted a move by swinging into a classically fast dance that had him tossing her up and catching her, swinging her between his legs with multiple twists and twirls. The panel were gasping in horror watching this very Senior Citizen doing these fantastic SoYouThinkYouCanDance moves. The audience was screaming in terror and laughing all at once. They finished the dance with a big move and the roof blew off the house. The audience chanted “Put Them Through!!” and one of the panel hit the gold button which means they go directly to the live performances. Turns out the lady was 80 in June, her partner was a dance instructor from Spain. One of the ladies on the panel scampered up onto the stage to hug the day lights out of that outragous little old lady. Simon did apologize for buzzing in too soon. Wow! Wisht I could dance like that. And although there is a site on line to subscribe to BGT.TV I do not seem to able to get that to work for me. Must need a super secret handshake....sigh...
And if this video does not play, it's on You Tube.  Enjoy!!!

No comments: