Saturday, June 29, 2013

Paint job and other topics


Please note the neighbor is painting the little bungalow what appears to be a gray green tint and he has uncovered the lovely little diamond window at the top of the wall. Nice work.

Duh book review.   We recently had a very nice book sale at work. I purchased on impulse I might add "Cloud Atlas" By David Mitchell.   I picked it up because of the movie trailers I have seen and for NO OTHER REASON.

This is the kind of book my professor in college would have had the class read and critique.

Without sounding like too much of a dumb ass here goes.  There are ten chapters, at least three of them are named the same.   My personal test has always been how captivated am I by the first sentence? "Beyond the Indian hamlet,upon a forlorn strand, I happened up a trail of recent foot prints."
1.  I do not care for first person narrative.
2.  Who is he looking for, My Man Friday?  Nope human teeth consumed by cannibals.  ew.


It natters on and on until we come to this chapter:

"Sloosha's Crossin' An' Ev'rthin" after.

First sentence:  Old Georgie's path an' mine crossed more times'n I'm comfy mem'ryin, an' after I'm died, no sayin' what that fangy devil won't try an' do to me.....gimme some mutton an' I'll tell you 'bout our first meetin'. a fat joocesom slice, nay, none o' your burnt wafery off'rin's....

Hmph.   Sounds like English, maybe Hill Folk English in about 500 year after civilization as we know it fails.

So basically this is 500 pages of very colorful yet not tempting enough to wade through thoroughly not even if I were being paid.

The reviews on the back page shed little light regarding plot other than "The result is brilliantly original fiction that reveals how disparate people connect, how their fates intertwine, and how their souls drift like clouds across the sky".

Hmmm sure sounds like Pullet Surprise to me.

1 comment:

Retro Blog said...

Awright I went back and read more Sloosha Crossin..

Seems to be set in Hawaii, in an age of no technology.

The narrator tells of being attacked by the big Kona on horses, his father was killed his little brother was taken as a slave and he hid in the bushes. He lives on the Big I. Hey Carlah-dee-dah, want me to send you this thing?