Saturday, February 2, 2013

Tater


It seems appropriate to cook potatoes two ways in memory of Uncle Tater. He passed away a couple days ago, he was 90, suffering from dementia and pneumonia and during one of his lucid moments, angry that Fern had died before him.  (told second hand from Aunt Ollie).

Tater's name was actually Clayton but my mother, the baby of the family, could not pronounce Clayton,it came out "Tayton" and evolved into Tater.  Tater it was for 90 years.  

I remember visiting with Grandma Horn years ago and she had kept the telegraph's from the War Department informing the family that he had been wounded and I read them. He spent his recovery in England and did not grow to appreciate English food.   Part of his service involving going into one of the death camps.  I cannot imagine a more horrible thing to have witnessed.

I also remember seeing a Cowboy calendar that featured both Tater and his brother Ralph, the genuine article all dressed up in working cowboy gear and saddled horses. I hope someone in the Horn family still has that calendar. 

I have already told the Porcupine Liver story several times and you can search my blog to read it again if you wish.  

Tater had a sly sense of humor, I was visiting in Emmett one time and the Horn's were visiting. Tater greeted me and said, "Looks like you wintered up pretty good". 
....sigh....what are you gonna do?

Tater and Fern are together now, looking for a country dance and it will be a contest between Mom and Dad who are already waiting and have cleared the dance floor with a quick boogie.  

God Bless everyone.