Sunday, May 12, 2019

A comment or two regarding GOT and the future

Firstly, I read the book decades ago.  The ONLY character I remember at all is Tyrion Lannister.  He was charming and scheming and that is about all.  

The HBO series I did not watch, despite mounting hysteria and aclaim. 

However what I HAVE watched courtesy of Facebook feeds are the clips about the more memorable  bits  posted by various fans.  I learned off hand that Jason Mamoa was in the thing and that is the reason that I ordered episode one of season one.  OMG, he is the typical horse lord who has probably adopted the personal mantra of Conan the Barbarian when asked what was his favorite thing about war.  Conan listed several grizzly things and ended with "Undt da lamendashun uv da vimen".  (cough)  

I learned that Dany is one tough woman.  I persuaded myself to purchase the entire first season.  I am not quite up the part where The Hand is executed.  It's kind of like watching the PSB story of Ken Burn's Civil War.  When they were filming the assassination of Lincoln, one of the people in the room asked that the filming be halted for a bit, to let him live a little longer. I wept at this.  So Let the Hand of the King live a little longer.  

As time has gone by more fans have posted enough on Facebook that I have the gist. Just enough to know that there have been soe deviation from the book.  Also someone will post the last two episodes putting us all out of our collective misery.

The question remains, what will HBO do to top this epic tale?

May I suggest a more prolific author, one who has written ten nice juicy adventurous books. The first three books are "Dies The Fire", "The Protectors War" and "A Meeting at Corvallis".  These have been written by S.M. Stirling.  This is an alternate history universe that first started March 1998, there was some event and the part of physics that make gunpowder burn etc collapsed completley. No electricity.  Massive die off as planes crashed, cities burned, millions starved.  The story concentrates on three groups. The Bear Killer outfit, the McKenzies the The Lord Protector and how they survived.  The remaining books are about the second genaration and their further adventures.  I highly recommend that HBO negotiation with Mr. Stirling to produce these stories.  There is enough work in the second book for the entire crew of Game of Thrones (really).  Lots of work for lots of folks.  

If I were blindingly rich I would get it done. I have a terrific imagination but I do not want to invite the world inside my head, so get busy out there.  You people are missing a wonderful opportunity.

PS: These books have plenty of bad guys to kill off and good guys to mourn.  

No comments: